• History: Beginning in March, 2018, during community conversations as we developed our Portrait of a Graduate, a topic of discussion was the need for our district to be more inclusive, to be more welcoming to students and families from diverse backgrounds. This topic continued to be brought up by parents, students, and staff, as well as alumni who participated in our district alumni study.
• Origin of Inclusive Excellence Guiding Coalition: Based on these continuing requests and several negative incidents, Fort Thomas Independent Schools created an Inclusive Excellence Guiding Coalition in 2019 to discuss issues and develop a plan. Teachers, staff members, community members, parents, and students have comprised the Coalition.
• Strategies: Our Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan (below) includes recommendations for strategies that are currently in our implementation stage. At this time, our primary focus is on individualized student success.
1) The Inclusive Excellence Guiding Coalition has focused on providing training to teachers and staff during summer professional learning as well as voluntary options for staff. This training is in response to direct requests from teachers.
2) In addition, additional books that feature students from diverse backgrounds have been provided to school libraries.
3) Also, the district has expanded its staff recruitment strategy, advertising beyond just the state system and district website (for example, utilizing Indeed.com to have a larger recruitment base.)
4) In order to make decisions and plan more efficiently, the DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) Advisory Council has been established. This council’s members have been nominated by each stakeholder group: parents, community members, students, teachers, staff members.
For more information, please contact:
Bill Bradford, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
DEI Advisory Council Members
Kentucky Department of Education (KDE):
KDE Equity in Education Webpage
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion